Our existence, or how we came to be.
Starting a new business is scary right? You could say that old adage “Necessity is the Mother of Invention” is why I’m here today. Thanks Albert!. . well, Plato said it first, but who knows Plato!?
For the past decade, most of the 2000’s, it’s been a struggle for many to hang on to the trailing edge of the power sports industry. As dealers and distributors hit bottom or near bottom there has been some fallout in the business.
Of the jobs and positions I have had and others like me have had in the past 12 years a lot of them have been sold, re-positioned, closed, position eliminated or juggling distribution positions to find a better model that will work. Eliminating employed sales staff for independents, then when that didn’t produce desired results, . . enter agreements with a stronger stocking wholesale distributor and join ranks with the catalog shoppers. Hey! , I ain’t knocking it! When I had that rep job, it was a line of defense to rep what you knew you and your company were a little better at than the other guy. I was pretty good at it to.
As for me, my customers got me, . . then the catalog, then the company and the product. As others hustle to keep the lights on and get the edge over a competitor, I , we, must do the same, only on our own level. Get Your Side Hustle on!
After a couple more years of hardship, I revived the idea for PowerSports Strategies. An idea that has been on my radar for almost 9 years.
The “Our Philosophy” or “Our vision.” portion of this page is unnecessary. Hard to argue with a philosophy that simply say’s “I want to work”, and a vision that just as simply says ” I know I can help “. I had no problem selling my customers products that would fit into their plan. I can still do that. I hope to have products that I’ll acquire from others, products that I’ll rep for someone else, and I’m working on some products and services of my own devices.
Like to start with I’m building starter websites. And I’m offering to lease some of my time to help your existing website reach new potential with updates and improvements. Easily, I see websites that have service staff pictures and data that are in excess of 10 years old. Not Cool Guys. UpDate!
And what’s unique about this process is that to my knowledge, there is not anybody else offering to effectively to be an employee for a few hours a month. . just to do some of these thing s you don’t 1. Have the time for anymore and/or 2. Don’t have the personnel free for they kind of thing.
That’s just one aspect that’s distinct and interesting about our business model that makes my PowerSport Strategies different in the same industry of which there are few if any like it. It Doesn’t Stop There. . .
A few years ago, while in the early stages of an involuntary hiatus, I was briefly involved in a company who’s entire being was centered around a very true premise that every dealer in existence has New, Old, stock ( NOS) and inventory that’s not available from the manufacturer or distributor. Our database grew very quickly and a lot of dealers still remember it today, it was a great idea!
The short of it was, dealers quickly grew to dislike the adopted payment process. Dealers need and want their investment back and with OBS inventory that on an average has sat on the shelf an average of 30 months. Without a financial return plan, what’s the point right?
With that objection overcome some partners and I will set out in 2019 to revive this process in a new and more promising package and eventually developing a business model that will actually be providing fulfillment, or physically handling the product. You can bet we’ll have a catchy name for it to!
As for how this applies to you? As I stated early on, every business has a unknown or un-monitored factor in obsolete or “No Sale in 12 Months + ” (509 Report in Light Speed) inventory that is eating away at the bottom line and that’s where we start to talk about yours.
This is but one opportunity I see, an opportunity that I’m passionate about and has led me to the creation of something new but old. Outdoor power and powersports are the roots I have –people wanna know a company has roots. That’s mine.
Meet the Team
Founder & CEO
Tommy Todd – Basic Information
I am a veteran executive level professional sales and marketing individual with experience building and maintaining professional relationships with new and existing accounts in local, national, large and small business environments.
I am motivated by selling, providing successful solutions and working with people. Extensive experience in working sales in a “Business to Business” environment, helping customers succeed and achieving sales and profit goals for my company and myself.
As a mid to upper level technology fluent individual I am versed in current technology as it applies to my field. I am well adapted to regional travel and various working environments as well as including overnight and extended stays on the road.
Experience as a functional General Operations and Business manager with Sales, Marketing and Hospitality functions are incorporated in my list of professional duties. Certain life experiences and skills enhance my unique abilities. I have specialized personal skills in dealing with small independent business owners as well as exceptional abilities in large fast environments.
20+ years experience, specializing in Sales, Account Management, Business Development and Marketing including 10+ years with assisting in Website management, data collection and project assessment, Social media interaction and implementation.
Experience includes Vice President and General Manager of wholesale distribution, General and Operations Manager, Territory Manager, Sales Manager and Retail Management
Very adaptive in supervisory and leadership roles and over 25 years in distribution services, manufacturing, procurement and supply. Available and free to work any required schedule including working non-traditional hours in order to meet customers’ needs. Included in my abilities are basic pc skills and a good proficiency with MS Outlook and Microsoft Suite software.
My hobbies are off road bicycling, motorcycling, dual sport motorcycling riding extreme hiking, cooking and home remodeling. A Non Smoker and I am the club president of Tennessee off Road Riders Association which I established in 1989.
High school graduate via general education degree plus 25+ years of sales, and management experience professionally earning many years’ recognition and hands on experience within the field training and classroom support training that rival a formal BS degree in my field. I’ve received awards for sales excellence and growth and have had the good fortune of many years’ experience in all business environments learning administration and business management hands on by superior managers, co-managers and business owners.
Completed and received a certificate of completion from “Essentials of Profitable Wholesale Distribution: , an extensive course from The National Association of Wholesale Distributors.
- Responsible for meeting or exceeding assigned annual sales goals by promoting and selling new products or services in a specific territory
- Handle customer complaints promptly and effectively and stay informed of market conditions
- Carry out sales programs, recommend items for inventory, maintain records, files and reports and assist in collection of past due accounts
- Participate in training sessions, trade shows, sales meetings and re-training
- Plan and prioritize my activities and sales objectives
- Plan and support marketing activities and sales efforts with organized marketing activities such as new product launches, promotions, advertising events and new product demonstrations
- Monitor and report on market and competitor activities
- Have been responsible for company operations and have directed operations to achieve budgeted profit results and other financial criteria
- Maintain customer contact in the market through various communication measures such as Email, telephone contact, face-to-face, text.
- Provide high level of customer service in responding to customer complaints; escalate issues to appropriate personnel
- Strong background in financial analysis and a working knowledge of financial statements
- Ability to work flexible schedule with the ability to travel the assigned territory
- Seek and qualify prospects and leads in accordance with company, territory strategy and goals.
- Research customer business needs and make recommendations of products and service to meet their needs
- Self motivated to study market conditions, company and manufacturer product innovations, and competitors’ products and data and when appropriate, share information with customers as a value-added service
- Excellent interpersonal skills in large or small groups | Adapt at making formal or informal presentation
- Ability to study and evaluate market trends and recommend products and strategy based on needs
- Excellent at building and maintaining client relationships
- Exceptional Prospecting skills, ability to develop new business, further penetrate existing accounts, and minimize lost business.
- Ability to successfully achieve and exceed special objectives and projects within my assigned territory
- Ability to work independently and without the need of constant supervision
- Friendly but professional relaxed personality meeting and blending with the working atmosphere
- Valid driver’s license with clean record and good working personal vehicle available for work purposes.
- Experience with inventory management, stock rotation and balanced stock levels with demand
- Ability to define and solve problems |Strong commitment to customer satisfaction and quality
- Strong bottom line awareness
- Identifying, evaluating and following up on potential client/sales leads either by cold call or pre planned prospecting
- Excellent at “Add On” and “Forgotten Item” awareness.
Relevant and Related Work Experience
Harley-Davidson dealer General Operations Manager
Retail and GM & Operations Management with full facility responsibility.
After hiring in as a marketing specialist I became the overseer of the entire operation. Some accomplishments here were that I Implemented new social media and marketing programs. I instituted a core reshuffle of current employees which placed a fresh feel within and cross trained current employees. This saved hiring and training new people for an overall company savings and placed underused talents in positions where they could excel. Raised the operations level and customer / employee awareness and importance on customer service and addressing issues. I increased communications within the company between upper management and employees and installed the first large public information board to keep employees abreast of programs and marketing functions. Cleaned up and organized awareness programs such as text messaging and social media.
Wholesale & Distribution Services Experience
Unlisted are Eight Various Major Powersport Wholesale Distributors
In each of the powersports industry company’s opportunity, covering a span of approximately 20 years, the duties were in the same path and mirror closely the job requirements of most any product distribution entity. Each is a well known wholesale supplier of product reaching out to a independent owned customer base. A conversion of responsibilities to duties with an industrial distribution/application product line would not be a stretch.
I traveled throughout my assigned territory, sometimes covering many states, and presented myself, my company and suitable products to independent dealers and businesses.
I would answer customers’ questions about products, pricing, product availability, product uses and do instructional for on line ordering and efficient inventory management which helped troubleshoot any problems that occurred during the order process. Provide product information and practical training to customer’s employees and product training seminars to personnel.
Prior to my entry into the Powersports/Motorsports Industry
Employment in an Outdoor products Manufacturer in Jackson, Tennessee
Inside Sales; National Accounts Outdoor Power Equipment Industry
I made initial contact and did follow up on all sales related functions with national level accounts such as Lowe’s, Home Depot, K-Mart, Menard’s and many others. Other functions were to support and report information to the outside sales group all pertinent information as to changes, additions to or modifications to products or orders. Maintained first name basis with buyers and secured comfortable relationship between customer and company. My group initiated calls and follow up with smaller accounts as well moving product over runs and wrongly marked products in smaller quantities to independent dealers.
At another point I became a team leader responsible for teaching up to fifty five ( 55) manufacturing teams of groups of 8 to up to 20 people each their order of business including safety, attendance, production, waste, over run and time management, data collection and assimilation.
I was moved into an administrative coordinator roll for manufacturing, engineering, design, marketing, sales and plant management. Increased communication between all departments and instigated the first public information board and coordinated a full safety program.
Outdoor Power Distribution Services; Wholesale
Vice President and General Operations Manager
The company I worked for was a privately held sub wholesale distribution company owner by a large industrial supply company in Memphis .
We sold accounts in the outdoor power equipment industry as a wholesale supplier. My responsibilities were the overall health and sales of the company. Four salespeople reported to me and we had an inside staff of four. Facility health, maintenance, inventory control, sales and customer service were all in my care. I traveled a large portion of the southeast as a sales rep and managed the inside through good communication and good employees.
I took the company as a five-year-old company, to the first monthly profits it made. Re organized inventory and introduced a city retail counter into the business which increased margins and volume considerably.